Did you see the article that caused a lot of chatter in the blogosphere recently (in RantChic.com apparently – no, me neither) on 24 things a woman over 30 shouldn’t wear (leopard-skin, graphic Ts, short dresses and so on)? No? Well, I’m glad to say that practically everyone ridiculed it and I give you one wonderful response from another blogger who said, basically, we women wear what the fcuk we want. I know not everyone clicks on the links I put in the post, but, why not give this a try as it’s such a treat.
Seriously, did this young person really mean you can’t wear certain things at 30!!!!! At 30! Good grief! Well, I thought I’d do a list of 10 things a woman over 70 simply must wear – here goes.
- Leopard-skin print Go on, indulge your inner Joan Collins!
- High heels Just because I can’t wear them (I’d fall over) doesn’t mean you can’t. #wewearexactlywhatwewant
Those are my slippers, btw.
- Makeup – lots of it! No, don’t hide away or say I’m too old for makeup. Your skin gets paler as you age, sooooo put on that lippy, foundation and mascara. #we’renotfadingaway
- Short things You’ve got legs. Show them off. Don’t wear those ubiquitous wide trousers. Women of all sizes have lovely legs. Be proud of them. Wear a short skirt. #weshowoffourlegsbecausewe’reproud
- Big glasses The sun gets in your eyes? Be noticed when you put those sunglasses on!
- Sparkly things Are you joking lady, sparkly things cheer you up! Put sparkles on your hair, body and feet – anywhere you want. These are shoes I’ve just bought (in a sale).
- Skinny jeans Yes, I know not everyone wants to wear skinnies. But as we age we are all different. We are not one homogenous, older woman. We are all different sizes, and some of us like skinny jeans – go wear them! #noarticleofclothingisoutofboundsbecausewewearwhatwewant
- Actual shorts I’m referring myself back to #4 as I never wear shorts out and about – but did I mention that I booked a cruise to the Caribbean for this coming January? No, well, I’ve bought a pair of shorts for that. This will be difficult for me, but I will wear the shorts then. #neversayneveraboutanyarticleofclothing
- Bikinis Ditto. Haven’t worn a bikini in years – but I will wear one next January. #sameas8
- Graphic Ts What! Seriously! I was going to show you, once again, the black T-shirt that has the motif ‘Live In The Moment’ (which I believe we should) but just recently I bought (for £3.99) a beautiful T shirt (in Oxfam, Brighton) that says Don’t Walk Dance. The first time I wore it I got stopped in the street and asked where I’d bought it. Was proud to answer – in a charity shop! #weweargraphicTssimplybecausewemightgetstoppedinthestreet!
That’s all for now, but never, ever, listen to anyone telling you what to wear when you’re over 70! Because I forgot to say, #whenwe’re70wewearattitude