Happily, I’ve made room for my Mac post-the-move. But, people, I haven’t had the head space to finish the reflective piece I had in mind for this blog! Instead, I’m writing about 5 blogs I aim to do.
1. I am very excited. I am going to meet Ari Seth Cohen – well, along with another couple of hundred people, but nevertheless! Ari, of course is the writer of the amazing Advanced Style blog that celebrates older women and if you haven’t been on the blog do have a look. I’ll be meeting him in October at an evening reception on the first day of a 2-day event, Mirror Mirror: Representations and Reflections on age and ageing run by the university of the arts, London and the London College of Fashion. I’ll be searching for an outfit. Should it be outrageous (go look at some of the photos on his blog!) or coolly elegant? Hmmm, not sure – will let you know about both the clothes and the event.
2. Another event I am attending in October, is a one-day symposium exploring ageing and dress run by the Royal College of Art and University of Kent. Professor Julia Twigg will be speaking. She’s an academic I remember from my past life as a social policy researcher. Then, she wrote about carers, her focus now is on women and ageing, and she’s publishing a book. Recently I found an article by her on the representation of older women in a particular high-end glossy mag. I was writing a reflective piece on that pre-the-move. I’ll let you know about the symposium and finish the piece shortly.
3. A blog I have on the back-burner is on coats. I don’t know about you but I smell Autumn in the air….
4. Eye-makeup and the older woman – my musings on the subject
5. And party-frocks. How to look great and glam on next to nothing, oh yes!
In the meantime, here’s a recent buy, another frothy skirt, bought for just £3.99, which I wear with leggings, plus a faux leather (Wallis) jacket bought some time ago for less than £10.00 – bit of a biker look, perhaps!
That’s all for now – will be back soon!
The frugal fashion shopper