Apparently there’s another article on what women shouldn’t wear over a certain age! Is it something about the summer months and journalists having nothing to say – funny that, I thought a lot was going on in the world? No, oh well. Because last year I featured a riposte to an article just like that. Now it’s the Saturday Times and their age limit test on what not to do, say and wear over 40. (I can’t give you a link because there’s a paywall – boo, hiss) But, excuse me! Over 40!!! Well, I was just about to write a blog on this when I read last year’s response to what you couldn’t wear over 30 – over 30! It was quite good, the response, I thought, so here it is. Mind you, two things first. Gosh, I was looking well this time last year and that’s partly due I think to the dyed eyebrows which I can’t do at the moment because I seem to have a bit of a reaction to the dye. That’s a shame, because here’s my tip of the month – always look after the eyebrows. And second I still need to recover from the move because I sure don’t look quite as bright as I did last year. But hey I will get there! Anyway have fun either re-reading this or seeing for the first time the thoughts of a 70-year-old on what women should wear! Here goes.
- Leopard-skin print Go on, indulge your inner Joan Collins!
- High heels Just because I can’t wear them (I’d fall over) doesn’t mean you can’t. #wewearexactlywhatwewant
Those are my slippers, btw.
- Makeup – lots of it! No, don’t hide away or say I’m too old for makeup. Your skin gets paler as you age, sooooo put on that lippy, foundation and mascara. #we’renotfadingaway
- Short things You’ve got legs. Show them off. Don’t wear those ubiquitous wide trousers. Women of all sizes have lovely legs. Be proud of them. Wear a short skirt. #weshowoffourlegsbecausewe’reproud
- Big glasses The sun gets in your eyes? Be noticed when you put those sunglasses on!
- Sparkly things Are you joking lady, sparkly things cheer you up! Put sparkles on your hair, body and feet – anywhere you want. These are shoes I’ve just bought (in a sale).
- Skinny jeans Yes, I know not everyone wants to wear skinnies. But as we age we are all different. We are not one homogenous, older woman. We are all different sizes, and some of us like skinny jeans – go wear them! #noarticleofclothingisoutofboundsbecausewewearwhatwewant
- Actual shorts I’m referring myself back to #4 as I never wear shorts out and about – but did I mention that I booked a cruise to the Caribbean for this coming January? No, well, I’ve bought a pair of shorts for that. This will be difficult for me, but I will wear the shorts then. #neversayneveraboutanyarticleofclothing
- Bikinis Ditto. Haven’t worn a bikini in years – but I will wear one next January. #sameas8
- Graphic Ts What! Seriously! I was going to show you, once again, the black T-shirt that has the motif ‘Live In The Moment’ (which I believe we should) but just recently I bought (for £3.99) a beautiful T shirt (in Oxfam, Brighton) that says Don’t Walk Dance. The first time I wore it I got stopped in the street and asked where I’d bought it. Was proud to answer – in a charity shop! #weweargraphicTssimplybecausewemightgetstoppedinthestreet!
That’s all for now, but never, ever, listen to anyone telling you what to wear when you’re over 70! Or any age. Because I forgot to say, #whenwe’reover40/50/60/70/80/90wewearattitude